Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never prior to have numerous new methods and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless people the chance to minimize or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and pain-free method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have had find LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be deceived by elegant advertisements about a specific laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser.
3. Select a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a medical professional doesn't know can harm you.
Ask for information on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your doctor will not inform you, find another one.
Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute.
7. Expect to see really well after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see perfectly. Each patient gets a somewhat various result. The finest cosmetic surgeon in the world cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as individual as helpful hints each client. Beware of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. Go in other places. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting up until the brand-new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the vision of countless individuals all over the world.