Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never before have numerous brand-new strategies and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless people the opportunity to lower or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and quick way to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help ensure that you will more than happy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by elegant ads about a particular laser. Select the doctor, not the laser. Discover who will in fact do your treatment, then inquire about that doctor's qualifications (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Pick a medical professional who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a medical professional does not know can injure you.
Ask for information on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your physician will not inform you, discover another one.
5. Ask what measures are taken to avoid infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating space. Make certain that disposable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Be careful of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as good find more information as a discount rate parachute.
Expect to see very well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each client. Beware of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. You news most likely are if you feel like you're getting a difficult sell. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably offer much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting till the new lenses are available. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the advantages: for many individuals, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the eyesight of millions of people around the world.